Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Powerful earthquake rocks Italy killing at least six people


At least 10 people have been reportedly killed by a powerful earthquake that rocked Italy overnight. It was so powerful it rocked buildings in the centre of Rome.
 


 It was a 6.2 magnitutde and happened around 3.30am.Survivors described it as an apocalaptic scene in towns and villages near Perugia which is the capital of the tourist packed Umbrian region and its popular to British tourist.

Daily mail gathered that 10 peaople were crushed by falling buildings or suffocated by the rubble.

The first victims of the devastating quake were an elderly couple whose home collapsed in Pescara del Tronto, in the Marche region, around ten miles from the epicentre. A family of four were also reported dead in the town of Accumoli. Four people are under the rubble, but they are not showing any sign of life. Two parents and two children,' said Mayor Stefano Petrucci.

The quake also destroyed homes and buried people under rubble in the small town of Amatrice, where many more are feared dead.

'The roads in and out of town are cut off. Half the town is gone,' said the town's mayor Sergio Pirozzi.  

He added: 'There are people under the rubble... There's been a landslide and a bridge might collapse.'

As dawn broke, residents and emergency services were scrambling to rescue people trapped in rubble. Fabrizio Curcio, the head of Italy's civil protection service, classed the quake as 'severe'.

Another person died and a family of four including two young children were trapped, feared dead, in their collapsed house in Accumoli, according to its mayor.
'We have a tragedy here,' the mayor, Stefano Petrucci, said. 'For the moment one death is confirmed but there are another four people under the rubble and they are not responding.

'It is a disaster, we have no light, no telephones, the rescue services have not got here yet.'
A resident of the village told Rai that she had been woken by the shaking in time to witness the wall of her bedroom cracking open. She was able to escape into the street with her children.

Two bodies were recovered from rubble in Amatrice, a mountain village in neighbouring Lazio that was packed with visitors at the peak of the summer season.
Sergio Pirozzi, Amatrice's mayor, said access to the village had been blocked, making it impossible for emergency services to get through.

'We can hear voices under the rubble.'
The worst hit towns were believed to be Accumoli, Amatrice, Posta and Arquata del Tronto.
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's office said rescue teams were being sent to the worst-hit areas. 
'It was so strong... It seemed the bed was walking across the room by itself with us on it,' said Lina Mercantini of Umbria, central Italy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment